Tuesday 9 July 2013

Spruce Up Your Summer Hair

Every fall, winter, and spring I find myself wishing for summer. I love going to the beach, eating outside, enjoying the weather, and most off all, summer fashion! While there are many positives to these warm summer months, there is also one major downfall...hair. My hair cannot withstand any humidity, and combined with sun and water, I am constantly having to tie my hair back. Lately I've been throwing my hair up in a bun, or a ponytail without a second thought. Recently, I've realized that with a few extra seconds, I can make my hair look amazing, and still have it out of my face. Some of these ideas are as  simple as adding a headband, and others are slightly more difficult. If you would like to see these quick tricks, please keep reading!

1. The Twisted Ponytail

This style has been a favourite of mine since I was little. It literally takes less than 30 seconds to do, but looks like you spent 30 minutes doing it!



1. Your hair can be wet, or dry which makes this style perfect for summer.  It can also be straight, curly, or wavy, the texture does not matter.
2. Tie your hair into a low ponytail with an elastic that matches your hair colour
3. Pull the elastic down your ponytail and create a hole in the hair above the elastic by splitting it into two sections.
4. Flip the hair under the elastic up, and put it through the hole above.
5. Pull the hair down, through the hole.
6. Tighten the hair elastic upwards. 
This trick works on all hair types, and most lengths! You can do whatever you want with the ponytail part as well. You can braid it, put it in a bun, or pin it up!

2. Adding a Bow

Hair bows are absolutely adorable. They are perfect for pulling the front section of your hair our of your face, while making your hair look amazing. If you pull your hair back with a bow, you are guaranteed to get at least one complement that day.


1. Separate two sections of hair from the front of your face on each side.
2. Pull the two sections back and secure them with a bow clip.

I picked up both of these bows from a store located in my area, but you can find them just about anywhere! American Apparel has bows in every colour of the rainbow, and the clips on them are fairly large so they are suitable for all hair types!

3. The Ponytail 2.0

Every girl loves the original ponytail. I'm pretty sure I learned how to tie my hair in a ponytail before I even learned to walk! I had to include this, because ponytails are tried and true for getting your hair out of your face. I improved the basic style by adding a cool hair clip I picked up at a local store. This extra step makes the basic ponytail more unique, and makes it look like you spent a lot more time on it!

Here is the hair clip I chose. It has a mental piece with an elastic attached, so it is extremely easy and fast to put in your hair!

1. Your hair can be wet or dry, and any texture for this style.
2. Put your hair in a basic ponytail at the height you desire.
3. Place the hair clip in your hair. Start by putting the metal piece on top, and wrap the elastic around, being sure to keep the metal piece in place.


4. The Headband

This may seem like the simplest idea ever, but it really makes all the difference! Whether you have your hair down, in a ponytail, in a bun, or you just came from the beach, adding a headband makes your hair look totally different. Headbands just add that extra 'something' to a boring hairstyle. Headbands can be found everywhere and are typically very inexpensive!

The pink flower headband is from a local store, the pink bow headband is from Charming Charlies, and the pearl headband (which is my favourite!) is from Forever 21.

5. Braided Ponytail

I always brain my hair when it's wet in the summer. Once it's dry, my hair has the best natural texture with no heat involved! This hairstyle is perfect for keeping your hair out of your face, and can be modified in many ways!

To achieve this look, french braid the hair on each side of your face, and tie the ends in a ponytail. To modify this, you can braid the ends, you can tie the ends in a bun, of you can finish it off with the twist shown above! Recently, I've loved just french braiding one side of my hair and tying the rest in a bun!

6. Mini Claw Clips

I am obsessed with these mini claw clips from Goody. I always keep them in my bag because they are excellent for pulling any part of your hair back. I especially love them because they open very wide, so you can pull just your bangs back, or half of your hair! They have an amazing grip, so you won't have to fix it every few minutes. These clips also come in neutral colours, so they blend well, and are also very inexpensive (They are about $4 for six)! I purchased mine at Target, but they can be found anywhere Goody products are sold. 

I used a purple one in this picture, so it obviously doesn't blend as well!

Hopefully I gave you some ideas for your summer hair! Comment down below any tricks you use to beat the heat!

- Amy






3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading this post, love the bows! I'm definitely gonna try the twisted ponytail!

    Isabelle Taking Chances

    ReplyDelete